As the season changes, it’s the perfect time to “spring into wellness!” Here are some tips to help the set the tone for a healthy spring!
1. Wake early to exercise. In the spring months, the sun rises earlier each day. Take advantage of the extra sunlight by getting out to exercise before starting your day. Whether going for a run, hiking, or walking the dog, exercising before work can begin your day on a high note with clarity and energy.
2. Revitalize your daily fruits and vegetable. Spring is a great season to add new fruits and vegetables to your diet. The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends 4.5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Cherries, raspberries, nectarines, plums, rhubarb, artichokes, cucumbers, peas, peppers, squash, and tomatoes are all in season so get creative and eat fresh!
3. Have Fun. It’s absolutely necessary to break out of the daily grind and have some fun. Wouldn’t you agree? Having fun reduces our stress levels, increases endorphins, and can even help reduce pain. So, having fun supports a happy and healthy lifestyle.
4. Water with a squeeze of lemon. For your body to perform at optimal levels, staying hydrated is essential. If you have trouble drinking the recommended 64 ounces of water each day, try squeezing fresh lemon into it to add a bit of flavor and zest! If lemon is not your favorite, you may also consider adding fresh berries, mint, or cucumber. Maintaining hydration also helps suppress appetite and can help maintain a healthy weight.
5. Sleep well. Proper sleeping habits help maintain a healthy weight so strive to sleep 6-8 hours each night. As staying up late has been shown to increase the likelihood of overeating, achieving proper rest will help reduce the opportunity to make bad diet decisions while preparing you for the demands of the next day.
6. Schedule health screenings and doctor’s appointments. Spring is a good time for annual check-ups and health screenings. It is especially important to see your doctor and ensure you’re in good health before starting an exercise routine.
How do you plan springing into spring with renewed energy and vitality? Whatever your plans are, we hope you have a happy, healthy spring!